Check out this blog!

Friday, May 8, 2009

New Perspective

Jim Croce wrote a song called "Time in a bottle."

Side note. After writing that line, I looked up the song on wikipedia, to make sure he had written it, and not just performed it. I came across a sad bit of info there. The song was a number-one hit, reaching the top of the charts in December, 1973, three months after his death. That adds a bit to what I was going to say anyway. However, it's more sobering a thought now.

Jim Croce wrote a song called "Time in a bottle." I could write out all the lyrics for you, but if you are that interested in them, you will undoubtedly search them yourself. The line that really is the main focus of the song is: "If I could save time in a bottle/ the first thing that I'd like to do/ is to spend every day 'til eternity passes away, then I'd spend them with you..."
Okay sorry that was more than a line. More like a verse. Haha. But can you see the point he is trying to make? The plight of a man who realized that time is precious, yet powerless to do anything with that realization. Do you ever feel that way? That urgent drive to make the most of the little time we have? God says in the bible that life is "but a vapor." The truth of this statement can cause even the best of us to lose hope. Yet, however dark and hopeless a fact, situation, or thought may be, it only takes a bit of an adjustment in our thinking to overcome the void. Jesus Christ has left this earth to "prepare a place for us." We don't need to save time in a bottle. God holds time in the palm of His hand. When I breathe my last on this earth, and my soul leaves my body, do not mourn me. I am a sinner, saved by grace. My life will not be over. Truly it will have just begun.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your post! Good job, ff! I really like the line about not having to save time in a bottle because God holds time in the palm of His hand. Just the way you worded it was awesome...and it's a really good reminder too. I'm having a hard time every once in a while with getting over mono cause I feel like I'm wasting time. I'm not able to do as much as I'd like. But I have come to see this time as a resting and quiet time to draw closer to God and relax...who knows what the future holds and how much I may not be able to relax. lol.

    Can't wait for you next post!!! (that is a hint by the way....lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Colin!!! It is so encouraging to think that really our life is just getting started when we leave this earth!!!!

    Are you in on this whole secret thing?! Is your next post going to have something to do with it?! I am really in suspence!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an incredible peace to know that our Heavenly Father holds time in His hand...

    I so enjoyed your post, Colin! Your thoughts went right along with the theme of our Ladies Luncheon today - Ecclesiastes 3...To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven...all events of this life covered by the illusive, necessary reality of time. xoxo

    ReplyDelete